On Thursday, the Indian Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed the kidnapping of seven citizens in Libya last month, indicating that it had entered into contact with local authorities to secure their release.
The spokesman for the ministry, Anurag Srivastava said that they had been kidnapped in a place called Al-Shweref, "a village in southwestern Libya," on September 14, when they were on their way to Tripoli airport to catch a flight bound for India.
He added, "The government is in contact with their family members and would like to assure them that we are making all possible efforts, in consultation and coordination with the Libyan authorities and the business owner to track down our citizens and secure their release as soon as possible." He explained that the Indian nationals were working in a construction and oilfield supply company.
Without specifying who kidnapped them, Srivastava said: “The kidnappers called the employer and showed him the pictures as evidence that Indian citizens are in good health.” He pointed out that the Indian embassy in Tunisia contacted the Libyan government, as well as the international organizations present there, to request their assistance in rescueing the Indian citizens.
In May 2016, the Indian government imposed a complete ban on its citizens from traveling to Libya, regardless of the purpose, in light of the deteriorating security situation.