Atwasat

Five new mass graves discovered in Tarhuna landfill




Alwasat - Cairo Tue 12 Oct 2021, 03:30 PM
alwasat radio

The General Authority for Searching and Identification of Missing Persons announced the discovery of five new mass graves in the city of Tarhuna, on Monday.

The authority said in a brief statement, that it was able to discover five new graves in the city's landfill, announcing the start of excavation on Tuesday. 

On October 4th, the head of the fact-finding mission in Libya, Mohamed Auajjar, said that "the mission confirms the collection of evidence of mass massacres of civilians in Tarhuna from 2016 to 2020." He added, in a press conference in Geneva on the occasion of the launch of the mission's report, that the mission cannot present what he called "those involved in the crimes so far," but noting that there is "evidence of the recruitment of Syrian children in the Libyan conflict."

The report stated that "air raids killed dozens of families, and the destruction of health infrastructure had an impact on access to health care, and civilians were killed and injured as a result of anti-personnel mines left by mercenaries in residential areas." 

Related Topics