The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said Wednesday that at least 15 migrants died in a shipwreck off Sabratha on Libya's western coast, while five survivors were brought to shore by fishermen.
"Desperate migrants continue to risk their lives in the Central Med fleeing abuse and exploitation, in the absence of life-saving capacity," the IOM said in a tweet.
The IOM recently revealed that more than 200 migrants died and over 280 others went missing on the Central Mediterranean route so far this year.
Nearly 10,000 illegal immigrants were rescued off Libyan coast so far in 2020, while the total number was 9,225 last year, it said.
The IOM has repeatedly said that Libya is not a safe port for migrants' disembarkation due to the deteriorating security condition in the country.