Atwasat

Salvini: Italy is no longer a reliable middleman in Libya




Alwasat - Cairo Thu 13 Feb 2020, 07:46 PM
alwasat radio

Former Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, renewed his criticism of PM Giuseppe Conte's position on the current crisis in Libya, calling him to determine his stance on the parties to the conflict, according to the Aki news agency.

Salvini said in an interview with the foreign press in Rome on Thursday, that Italy "is no longer a reliable middleman in Libya," noting that "the coming months will be a big problem at the Libyan level, and I believe that the solution will not come from Rome." .

Salvini reminded that "the Italian government, and therefore the Italian people, are paying a price for not making a choice in Libya." He explained that "If you don't pick a side between Fayez Al-Sarraj and Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, you will lose credibility."

"If it was up to me, I would have spoken to the recognized government," Salvini said, considering that "it was a surreal matter when Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte met with Haftar, the person who bombed Tripoli, before Al-Sarraj."

Salvini previously criticized Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte for the reception of Marshal Khalifa Haftar on January 8, before he received Presidential Council leader Fayez Al-Sarraj.

Related Topics