The UN Security Council on Thursday unanimously adopted a resolution renewing its mission in Libya for another year and pledging to support struggling efforts to build a cease-fire in the country.
The Security Council said it asked the UN Secretary-General "to assess the steps required to reach a lasting ceasefire (and) the possible role of UNSMIL in providing scalable ceasfire support."
The pledge of support was requested by UN envoy to Libya Ghassan Salame, who has pushed for a restart of the political process since Khalifa Haftar's Libyan National Army launched an offensive in April to conquer the capital, Tripoli.
Haftar's forces are fighting Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA), which is led by Fayed El-Sarraj.
Last week, Salame warned that without action by the Security Council, Libya's conflict would escalate if outside patrons step up support for the warring sides.
But General Ahmed Al-Mesmari, spokesman for Haftar's forces, on Saturday ruled out any political negotiations.
"The time of going back to dialogue is over," said Al-Mesmari, speaking in the UAE. "The military solution is the best solution to spread security and reimpose the law."
Since April, fighting between pro-GNA and pro-Haftar forces has killed at least 1,093 people and wounded 5,752, while some 120,000 others have been displaced, according to the World Health Organization