The Libya Post Company issued a postage stamp to mark the 150th anniversary of the establishment of the municipality of Tripoli (1870-2020). According to a document at the Historical Archives House in Tripoli, the municipality was founded by an Ottoman Sultan during the reign of Ali Riza Pasha.
The first president of the Tripoli municipal council was Sheikh Ali Al-Qerqani, but it did not function until two years later, in 1872. The municipality continued to exist until the Italian occupation in 1912, when the Italian campaign leader General Carlo Caneva dissolved the former municipal council and assigned the Municipal Administration to three members.
As part of the organization of the municipality of Tripoli, a new administration was established in 1924 to organize the new city of Tripoli.